4 July 2011

Hello old friend

Like many people the first long distance walk I attempted was the Dales Way. It appealed for a number of reasons. We could walk straight out of our door in Saltaire and onto the link route from Bradford to Ilkley. The route is way marked and the sections looked easily achievable even for newbies like ourselves AND we would pass right by my old home at the top of Dentdale.

Me at home on the farm
I grew up on a farm in Cowgill at the top of the Dale and my first introduction to walking for pleasure was watching weary Dales Way walkers heading for the Youth Hostel in the late afternoon. We walked alright. In the days before quad bikes became the must-have piece of kit for every shepherd and his kids we managed our flock on foot.
Dad feeding sheep on Wold Fell
Our sheep spent their days on the fells and so did we. Wold Fell and Whernside were as familiar to me as my back garden is now.

It’s many years since I left the farm and discovered for myself the pleasures of walking the fells just for fun. It’s also a long time since that first walk that got me hooked on long distance trails. I’m just about to set off on the Dales Way again. This time in a series of day walks with a friend. And as we trudge our way down into Dentdale at the end of Day 5 I’ll be keeping an eye open for farm kids. I’ll give them a wave and I’ll tell them it is fun – really it is.

No comments: